If you’ve ever walked off the beach with your hair in beautiful loose waves, you know the feeling of envy from others who want that look but can’t get it. (And if you haven’t experienced this, I’m so jealous of you.) But don’t worry! With these seven tips and tricks, your hair will be wavy and full of body like you just spent the day at the beach.
Use a hair texturizer.
A texturizer is a product that you put on your hair to give it a bit more body, volume and movement. While high-quality texturizers are meant for fine or thin hair, they can also be used by anyone who wants a more full look.
If you’re looking for a good texturizer, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Check the ingredients list. Some texturizers contain silicones (which will make your hair greasy), alcohols (which dry out your scalp), harsh detergents (which strip color from chemically-treated hair) and oils (which weigh down fine or oily strands).
- Read reviews by people with similar hair types as you do. If all reviews say that the product made their hair greasy or weighed them down too much, then it probably won’t be effective on yours either!
Apply sea salt spray to damp hair.
Apply sea salt spray to damp hair. The best results come from using this product on freshly washed hair, but it can still be used after a day or two of not washing your hair. If you have dirty hair and want beachy waves, use a clarifying shampoo to strip away the build-up so that the sea salt spray has something to work with when styling. Rinse with cool water afterward.*
Use a diffuser for extra volume.
If your hair is long and thick, or if you like to wear your hair straight and smooth, using a diffuser may be the best option. A diffuser works by blowing air in all directions to dry your hair gently and evenly without damaging it. Using a diffuser also helps reduce frizz because the air flow is controlled rather than harsh. To use a diffuser, simply place it on top of your head and allow it to dry as usual—either with heat (on low) or with no heat at all.
Let your hair dry naturally.
Let your hair dry naturally.
- Use a diffuser to speed up the drying process. If you don’t have one, you can use a blow dryer on low heat and hold it at least 12 inches away from your head. You may also try medium heat, but keep the blow dryer moving around so that you don’t create any hot spots in your hair. For best results when using a blow dryer:
- Let your hair air-dry for 30 minutes before applying product/heat styling tools such as flat irons or curling irons;
- Apply products like mousse, hairspray and texturizing pastes before starting with heat styling tools; this will help protect against damage caused by using hot tools too often or too close to each other (e.g., curling iron followed by flat iron);
Be patient with the length of your hair.
Patience is key when it comes to getting beachy waves. If you want long, flowing hair that looks like it’s been hanging out in the ocean all day, it’s not going to happen overnight. It can take a while for your hair to get to the length where it looks as good as you want it. But trust me—the longer your hair is and the healthier it is, the better your beachy texture will be!
You have to remember that growing out your natural texture takes time and patience. Your hair will never grow overnight because of some magic potion or quick trick—it takes time for healthy strands to grow from roots down through ends so they can look amazing when styled properly (which we’ll discuss later).
With the right products and healthy habits, you can achieve beautiful beachy hair at home!
You’ve already figured out that beachy hair is a great look, but you may not have realized just how much effort is required to get the look. It’s not easy to achieve and even harder to maintain!
You’ll need lots of product, both when you’re styling your hair at home and when you’re on vacation at the beach. And you’ll need to use different products depending on whether your hair is wet or dry (or somewhere in between).
There are many ways for people with curly hair like mine—and even straight-haired people—to get this gorgeous style at home, but it takes a lot of effort and patience for those who want their waves to be perfect all day long.
With the right products and healthy habits, you can achieve beautiful beachy hair at home! If you follow these 5 tips for getting beachy/wavy hair at home, your hair will be soft, shiny, and full of volume. Don’t forget to use a heat protectant before styling so that your hair doesn’t get damaged. And remember to deep-condition once a week to keep it healthy and strong!